i can’t freakin believe this show is still on. how awesome is that. a lot has changed since i was a kid. they done had muppets with HIV and everything, and now they’re prolly teachin kids how to not get molested on the interwebs. amazing. anyway, in tribute, i wanted to do a short list of 5 of my favorite songs that i remember from the show. i was going to do my top 10 faves, but the pressure was just too great 😦
my affinity for funk, r&b & 80s music has clearly dominated the top 3/5s of the list. it starts two traditional faves though:
5. ‘Rubber Ducky’ – Ernie – adulthood taints everything. in listening to this as a 27 year old, i felt some kinda way hearin Ernie sing about findin somethin ‘short and yellow and chubby’ in the tub.
4. ‘C is for Cookie’ – Cookie Monster
and then… THE PARTY STARTS!!
3. ‘The Word is No’ – Maria and Gina – lol. remember this?? i mostly remember the chorus. id sing it everytime my mom would tell me no for something. i totally didn’t know how 80s this joint is though! i love it!
also in retrospect, Maria was kinda Claire Huxtableish, wasn’t she?
2. ‘Down Below the Street’ –Take 6 – vintage Take 6!!! i dare you to find somethin about this that kicks ass. dare you. you can’t do it. don’t even try.
i still think of this song when i’m out and about and i see a manhole or sewer drain.
1. The Pinball Number Count Song – The Pointer Sisters – im sure nobody is surprised by this takin the #1 spot. this joint is TOUGH.
40 years. Jesus, we’re OLD.